Sunday, September 6, 2009

Swamp Bog Porter

Session 6 was long but successful (thus far), now it's time for the all important fermentation.

Ferment Temp Log
Day 0_dropped ice cubes all over the demijon to drop temperature
Day 1_12:00 - 68F
Day 1_13:30 - no activity, shook demijon; no sign of yeast, flat black porter
Day 1_14:10 - fermentation is taking place (withing 20 min of shaking)
Day 1_16:24 - activity within every 10 sec; layer of yeast on top going to work!
Day 1 _17:10 - 70F, good activity, shook again just because.
Day 1 _20:12 - 72F, added water in zip lock bags to drop temp. I will freeze them over night to create reusible ice cubes to drop temp as needed.
Day 1_22:57 - 72F, relocated cold water bag, moving along nicely, I wasn't ever aware of the constant little gas stream flowing out of the keeper until now.
Day 2_12:00 - 74F, Temp is beyond threshold but still active
Day 2_16:00 - 74F, outside temp = 78F, low activity, new icebag
Day 2_16:02 - 72F, bag dropped temp I guess
Day 3_06:20 - 76F, what threshold? crossing fingers and hoping for strong yeasties
Day 3_23:00 - 77F, Climbed to 78F at the least during today, I am very concerned about the alcohols (fusals?) with this batch. I do however think it will be a good study with me being concerned enough to log the progress. I think there will come a time that this house will be able to ferment a beer successfuly during the fall and spring months, and best results with a warming belt during the winter months (but that will make for one heck of a cold brew day).
Day 4_06:21 -77F, shook, foamed up but I am afraid that the yeast my have died by now.
Day 5_ AM - 76F, no activity

Day 5_19:15 - 76F, FG at this point is 1.020, I recall hitting a 1.078 for the OG but can't find my notes (not good, I thought I noted them online). ABV would be 7.7% with this records (I also made this as an 8 gallon batch and carried 11? gallons over to the boil kettle but bottled 9...we have always ballparked this it seams, or at least I have).
I see a sight glass is in my future...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babbles