Friday, December 3, 2010

The Upgraded Brewery

During the mounting process one of the balancing pumps fell resulting in an unfortunate head breakage. I figured ebay was the place to go for my stainless upgrade from the CHUGGER people. I have noted a slower output rate from the stainless, but I am more comfortable pushing cold wort through it over the poly. It was a rough first brew day but I am sure with a few brewdays I will be running this thing like a well tuned machine (who are we kidding, every brewday is different and I still need to finish the gas rail before I can call this project complete).

Thanks Swagman for the nice metal work, I know stainless can be a pain from what I understand. (This guy also does tri-clamps if you are interested)

The Herms coil was bent using my hands, a 90° pipe bender, and my weber grill for as a heat source to keep the stainless malleable. I recommend Silicone kitchen mitts for handling the hot tubing. The compression fittings were a real pain to work with. I recommend slipping them on both ends before any bending. Once that stainless bends it's no longer a smooth circle and it can be a serious bugger to shove it together

As always, feel free to ask any questions. I will attempt to get you answers.

note: I also found a great deal on ebay for the 5/8" stainless compression fittings for the copper counterflow chiller from morebeer at a great deal. I've been following the lead from http://theelectricbrewery.com/ lately and found them extremely resourceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babbles