Thursday, September 3, 2009

Grand Teton Brewing Co. E.S.B.

I think of a Super PALE too bitter, then again, my pallette is shot
after working with my DIPA from keg to keg, co2 testing (never really
played with the kegging system before)

and the 10% is tough to work
through anything after a bit of "tasting". Some pours were too much
(all pours were too much, who am I kidding, this is room temp beer -
80F).

Ok, I think I should move to the DIPA for a minute since it is on my
mind. I am having people over for brewday #6 Saturday and thought it
would only be right to have something to serve. I decided on the Oaked
Double IPA.



It seems to be a bit over oaked and thought I could bottle
a few for storage and serve the rest. The other 5 gallons of non-oaked
DIPA can be bottled at a later time because the stuff is wicked and I
can't drink it within a months time. I tried filtering from one keg to
the next and it worked but not as well as I would have hoped. This is
a 1.0 micron filter that left hop residue in the next glass from the
filtered keg. However, it did filter the beer considering the gunk left on
the filter as you can see.

Next time I will make an attempt with a .05 micron
filter and see how that processes through.

Thanks for making me take the time to write this out KCHOPHEAD, I am
aware that I am actually being followed now, I'm sure that I can get better at this; even if this attempt does suck.

The wife is out of town for the holiday weekend in Florida leaving me home
alone with kids and a great Saturday to BREW!

Back to the ESB

...and I am a complete rookie if you haven't noticed. My pallet is crap
but I am known for cooking my ass off (although there is always more to learn).

A: a bit hazy, dark and malty
S: Too high in the alpha hops if you ask me, I understand "extra" but
too much for me.
T: Acidic, very bitter, unbalanced hop content I think
F: At a cooler temp (and probably sober too) there was a metallic,
coppery after taste that I don't notice now at room temp
D: I don't think I will be buying anymore. I would prefer (from a
commercial brewery) a better balanced brew. If I had brewed it, I
probably would have let it age and tasted it a year later. With that
in mind, I grabbed one for a mixer sixer and it will be the last that
I buy.

note: Don't tell my wife there was some Bitch's Creek leakin' in the
kitchen while she was gone.

1 comment:

  1. We got some Bitch Creek ESB through someone else last week, and I completely agree - way too hoppy. John said it's like an over-hopped American Brown Ale. Totally agree. Not really sure what they were going for, but maybe they thought ESB stood for something else.... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Babbles