Tuesday, August 18, 2009

DIPA: from the demijon to the kegs


Update on Kauffman Imperial IPA
2009.08.15

The sample was MUCH better than the copper monster which was supposed to be the Rogue I2PA clone (I have my suspicion that morebeer may have shorted me some of the grain bill and the milled grains expired during storage in the laundry room over 2 months). The latest DIPA has a much better flavor yet the presence of alcohol is a bit obvious. With the OG hitting 1.086 and an FG of 1.010, I apparently reached an ABV of 10%. My personal goal obtained, now for the hot alcohol to chill out over the next few weeks and a bit of dry hopping I may have a nice DIPA to be proud of.

The Copper Monster is getting better and I will be dry hopping it at the same time.

I decided to move the 8+ gallons to the kegs for simplicity. Little did I know I was down to my last ounces of CO2 and it was going to be a long day. I first had to clean them with PBW, then Starsan them. I don't even think I got the second keg full of PBW before running out gas (good to know I can go down the street and exchange a 5lb tank at AIRGAS for $13.55 from now on). I had to siphen the rest of the solutions from tank to tank (not hitting the interior of the dipstick from what I would assume, so it is a bit scary to lose all that beer). I hope it all works out well. Carl, Jeff, and Leland were able to bottle Carl's 5 gallons of Moose Drool Clone and 5 Gallons of Leland's Stout in the time that it took me to clean the kegs (how embarressing).

I have decided I want to just store/age my beer in kegs while they are available and get a counter-pressure bottle filler to allow me to ration my beer and let it age a bit.

Man I love beer, and I enjoy making it…does anyone want to volunteer to clean though????

No comments:

Post a Comment

Babbles